What is the AUTL?
The Atlantic University Tennis League (AUTL) is a competitive league that plays in a co-ed format throughout the academic year, competing against other universities in order to win the regional title: the Nestor Cup held in Halifax. The AUTL hosts three tournaments each year;
- Two Regular Season Tournaments
- League Championship Tournament
Teams are made up of a minimum of three males and three females. Ties consist of a male and female doubles match followed by a No. 1 and No. 2 singles match for both males and females and a mixed doubles match. The first team to secure four victories wins. Seeding for the League Finals is based off the results of the regular season.
The AUTL consists of Seven University teams:
- St. Mary’s University
- Dalhousie University
- University of Prince Edward Island
- University of New Brunswick
- Memorial University
- Acadia University
- St. Francis Xavier University
Why the AUTL?
The AUTL is committed to helping all athletes excel at their chosen degrees. Many of our players are enrolled in challenging under-graduate or post-graduate studies and can succeed as a result of our flexible practice schedules, weekend-only tournaments, and a league schedule designed to avoid the busiest times in the school year. We offer an atmosphere where academics always take precedent!
The AUTL is open to all players, regardless of experience. Players are separated by skill level to ensure competitive play and efficient learning. Beginners are encouraged to participate if they have an interest in learning the sport or improving their basic skills. Advanced players practice separately in order to further develop their game and compete against players at a similar level.
The goal of the AUTL is to grow into a tennis league with Atlantic University Sport (AUS). The AUS is a regional membership association for universities in Atlantic Canada, assisting in coordinating competition between their university-level athletic programs and providing contact information, schedules, results, and releases about those programs and events to the public and the media. The AUS, which covers Canada east of the province of Quebec, is one of four such bodies that are members of the country’s governing body for university athletics, Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS).
The tournament series schedule for the 2017-2018 season is as follows:
Regular Season Tournaments:
- November 24 – 26, 2017 (Cougar Dome)
- January 19-21, 2018 (Abony Centre in Fredericton)
- League Championship: March 2-4, 2017 (Daniel Nestor Tennis Centre)
The AUTL began in earnest in 2012 with Acadia University, Dalhousie University, St. Mary’s University, University of Toronto, as well as two teams from Memorial University. Many teams were put together just weeks before the competition that ultimately saw MUN Team 1 lose to U of T in the final. Since then the AUTL has worked diligently with Tennis Canada to create a professional and competitive league with a circuit of tournaments, league-wide funding for travel and training, and the Daniel Nestor Cup which was first given to the league champion Dalhousie University following the 2014-2015 season. We are now a seven-school league with plans to expand to become part of the National University Championships by 2018.
Team Contact Information
University Captain Email
- Memorial University of Newfoundland – Dennis Keaveney email@example.com
- Acadia University – Nolan Turnbull firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dalhousie University – Brian Horbal email@example.com
- Saint Mary’s University – James Downie firstname.lastname@example.org
- Francis Xavier University – Graeme Larsen email@example.com
- University of Prince Edward Island – Brian Hall firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of New Brunswick – Rory Chisholm email@example.com
To follow Canadian University Tennis Athletes, like us on Facebook!