Several years later, the numbers in the Jane/Finch tennis community continue to grow. In 2008, registration for the winter league grew to more than 140 participants and the inaugural summer league was a huge success thanks to many volunteers and the San Romanoway Revitalization Program. In 2009, another summer league was slated for the newly refurbished courts at the Grandravine Community Centre.
While one of the key goals of the Jane/Finch program was children’s fitness, there are many others. Since 2006, Tennis Canada has worked closely with community leaders in the Jane/Finch area to introduce the Building Tennis Communities (BTC) strategy to the neighbourhood.
We Identified The Following Goals:
- Create jobs with paid positions.
- Provide youth with recreation and sport.
- Help children identify with their community.
- Teach life skills to both children and parents in the community.
- Provide opportunities to introduce individuals and families to the joys of active healthy living and tennis.
- Provide children with the opportunity to learn and play tennis, and to pursue other educational interests through a scholarship program.
- As a result, hundreds of kids and adults in the Jane/Finch neighbourhood are enjoying the benefits of tennis and sport through low cost programming.
- Annual Family Day Tennis Festival as of Spring of 2006.
- Annual Winter Kids Tennis League as of 2006.
- Local community camps receive free Rogers Cup presented by National Bank tickets since 2007.
- Scholarships awarded to the Winter League participants since 2007.
- Summer Kids Tennis League at San Romanoway added in 2008.
- Summer Kids Tennis League at Grandravine Community Centre added in 2009.
- Pilot School Program introduced to grades 1-3 in four schools in the fall of 2009.
- New Community Volunteer Course introduced to parent volunteers in the spring of 2009.
- The first edition of the Jane/Finch program newsletter printed in the fall of 2009.
- Jane/Finch Community Tennis Association became incorporated in 2010.
Many of the programs are the result of kind donations from individuals in the tennis community. For program information and how to donate to the program please contact Alan Ma, Manager, Jane/Finch Community Tennis, at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in subscribing to our newsletter please send an e-mail to:email@example.com