Did you know more than 20 Canadians are diagnosed with diabetes every hour of every day? It’s true: over 10 million Canadians live with prediabetes or diabetes. Because November is Diabetes Awareness Month, I’m writing today’s post to share some of the incredible benefits of exercise (of course tennis counts!) for those living with the disease.
- Exercise can be as powerful as glucose-lowering medication… with fewer side effects.(Canadian Diabetes Association).
- Physical activity levels of Canadians have fallen over the last 40 years with only 15% of today’s adults meeting the Canadian Physical Activity Guideline’s recommendations of at least 150 minutes of heart-pumping activity each week.
- Fitness level is one of the strongest predictors of all-cause mortality in people with diabetes. (Canadian Diabetes Association).
- Low physical fitness is as strong a risk factor for mortality as smoking. (Canadian Diabetes Association).
- Those with diabetes can improve their blood glucose control by exercising at least five days a week and by participating in resistance training activity.
- Regular exercise, in conjunction with healthy eating and weight management, can reduce the incidence of diabetes by a whopping 60%.(Canadian Diabetes Association).
If you’ve been diagnosed with prediabetes or diabetes, here are some of the short and long-term benefits to regular exercise participation:
- Physical activity can lower your blood glucose within one hour
- Exercise can improve your mood, sleep quality, and provide you with more energy
- Exercise can increase the effectiveness of the insulin your body makes or the insulin prescribed for you.
- Regular exercise improve blood glucose control
- Get moving to help manage your weight/avoid weight gain
- Exercise helps keep your pancreas, kidneys, eyes and nerves healthy
- Regular exercise reduces the risk of heart attack, stroke and death… in all of us.
More good reasons to pick up your tennis racquet and keep it swinging all year long. Time to look into winter tennis in your community!