My love of tennis began with an old wooden racquet, a tennis ball I had to wrestle from the dog, and hours of play against the garage door. Not long thereafter came tennis camp and lessons, and today I still play, most often with my own kids and family. Looking for a reason (or excuse!) to play? Here are 15!
- Tennis is a game for life, welcoming players of all ages and abilities
- Tennis is social – enjoy time on the courts with family and friends and meet others from your community
- Tennis appears to promote continuing brain development and reinforces important values such as discipline, honour, perseverance and respect
- Physically active people are healthier and happier – try tennis and see for yourself
- Tennis is a great form of aerobic exercise – an ideal way to show your heart and lungs some love. Do you get enough exercise? Check here.
- Tennis torches calories and burns fat
- Regular tennis and other forms of exercise participation can help manage stress, anxiety and depression
- Tennis builds muscle – particularly in the legs
- Tennis increases hand-eye and overall body coordination
- Tennis provides a terrific form of cross training for those who enjoy other sports
- Playing doubles teaches us and reinforces the value teamwork
- Tennis is a weight-bearing activity that promotes bone strength and reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- Tennis improves flexibility – all that bending and stretching to return the ball will help you increase or maintain your range of motion
- Tennis promotes a sense of well-being while improving self-esteem and confidence
- …and perhaps the best reason of all? FUN!
TIP! Just getting started or introducing your kids to the game? Keep it simple and have some fun hitting balls against a brick wall or the garage door.
We want to hear from you! Using #TENNISisCANADA, tell us @Tennis_Canada and @Cate_Cameronabout your favorite reasons to play!