Did you know yoga is a terrific complement to almost every sport, tennis included? It’s true, and in fact many players of all levels, practice to enhance their physical performance, and for the mental health benefits.
Here’s how yoga practice, even just a couple of times each week, can enhance your tennis game:
- Flexibility: The stretching involved in yoga will help your body become more flexible, bringing greater range of motion to muscles and joints. For tennis players in particular, they’ll appreciate increased flexibility in their backs, shoulders, hips, and hamstrings.
- Strength: Many yoga poses require you to support the weight of your own body in new ways, including balancing on one leg or supporting yourself with your arms. Added strength, particularly in the legs and arms, will add power to your game.
- Muscle tone: As a result of getting stronger, you can expect to see increased muscle tone. Nothing like showing off your toned physique in some tennis shorts!
- Pain Prevention/Relief: The gains you’ll make in strength and flexibility can help prevent injury and even manage pain. Many people who live with chronic pain find relief or escape by practicing yoga.
- Improved Breathing: Yoga breathing focuses on the breath and teaches us to use our lungs more efficiently. This, combined with regular heart-pumping activity, will lead to better on-court endurance.
- Mental Calmness: Yoga provides a calming effect on the mind and introduces meditation techniques which can help us to be more focused and present in the moment. On court, this means better concentration and an improved ability to block distraction.
- Stress Reduction: Physical activity is good for relieving stress, and this is especially true of yoga. Nervous about stepping onto the court for the first time? Facing a tough opponent? Regular yoga practice can help you prepare physically and mentally.
- Body Awareness: Practicing yoga will give you an increased awareness of your body and lead to greater self-confidence. It benefits people of all ages and abilities.