fbpx
EN FR
Home   News   Professional tennis returning to Toronto in September

Professional tennis returning to Toronto in September

Sep 04, 2015
written by: Tennis Canada
written by: Tennis Canada

Dancevic, Polansky, and Peliwo among those set to play ITF Pro Circuit events

Toronto, September 4, 2015 – Tennis Canada announced Friday the return of professional men’s tennis to Toronto this month as a three-tournament swing of $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit events heads to the city. First up will be the Donalda Futures at Donalda Club from Sept. 5-12, with the Tevlin Futures at Aviva Centre taking place the following week. The Mayfair Futures at Mayfair Parkway in Markham, Ont. will round out the competition from Sept. 19-27.

Canadians and Davis Cup team members Frank Dancevic, Peter Polansky, and Filip Peliwo will headline the field at the Donalda Futures, where main draw action will kick off on Monday. Dancevic is currently ranked world No. 277 and has represented Canada in Davis Cup action for 13 years, while former junior world No. 1 Peliwo made his Davis Cup debut in July. Polansky, who reached his career-high ranking of No. 122 last year, returned to tennis in July following wrist surgery and is currently on the comeback trail.

“We have such a strong player field this year and what’s most exciting is our line-up of Canadians,” said Karl Hale, tournament director, Donalda Futures. “To be able to see these Canadian stars play in person will be a big draw. This is high quality tennis and a great chance to see some really fantastic athletes closer than ever before.”

Recent past champions at the tournaments include 21-year-old Peliwo, who won his first career pro title at the Mayfair Futures in 2013. That same year, Polansky captured both Donalda and Tevlin, while he also is a former Mayfair winner. Other previous champions include Jesse Levine, who clinched the Donalda-Tevlin duo in 2011.

Among the international players set to compete this year are world No. 262 Tennys Sandgren of the United States, South African veteran Fritz Wolmarans, American Sekou Bangoura, and the No. 1 junior player in the world in 2013, Italian Gianluigi Quinzi.

“This is truly a unique chance to see excellent tennis up close, including young up-and-comers who will be the future of sport,” said Gavin Ziv, vice-president of professional and national events, Tennis Canada. “We encourage all tennis fans in the area to take some time out and stop by one of these tournaments. Being able to see these world-class athletes compete really shows you how talented they are and how physical the sport is. It should be a great three weeks of tennis.”

All three events offer free admission for the duration of the tournaments. Draws and orders of plays will be accessible on the Tennis Canada and ITF websites when made available.