1. Who is the player pictured above?
a. Novak Djokovic
b. Federico Delbonis
c. Philipp Kohlschreiber
d. Borna Coric
a – Novak Djokovic
2. Which writer wrote the following describing the girlfriends of professional tennis players? “Most of the girlfriends have something indefinable about them that suggests extremely wealthy parents whom the girls are trying to piss off by hooking up with an obscure tennis player.”
a. Michael Mewshaw
b. Richard Evans
c. Jon Wertheim
d. None of the above
d – none of the above: written by the late David Foster Wallace in the 1996 Esquire magazine piece ‘Michael Joyce’s second act.’
3. In which of these cities did Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf have the first rendezvous of their courtship?
a. Las Vegas
b. Los Angeles
c. San Diego
d. San Francisco
c – San Diego
4. What does Andy Roddick say is the most important thing in having a great serve?
a. leg push
b. flexible arm
c. torso turn
d. arm extension
a – leg push
5. Which player vowed she would never lift a tournament trophy above her head until it was a trophy for winning a Grand Slam title?
a. Victoria Azarenka
b. Lindsay Davenport
c. Sloane Stephens
d. Justine Henin
b – Lindsay Davenport
6. Three of these players share a maternal connection – who is the odd man out?
a. Denis Shapovalov
b. Dominic Thiem
c. Stefanos Tsitsipas
d. Sascha Zverev
b – the former Soviet Union mothers of the other three all played on the tour
7. Daniel Nestor retired this year after playing for almost 30 years on tour. Over that time what is the number of different doubles partners he played with?
a. 74 – his singles ranking on Oct. 25, 1999
b. 58 – his career highest singles ranking on Aug. 23, 1999
c. 91 – his number of career doubles titles
d. 60 – his number of doubles runner-ups
a – 74
8. Which women’s tour event did both Taylor Fritz’s mother (Kathy May) and Brad Gilbert’s sister (Dana Gilbert) win in 1976 and 1978 respectively?
a. Hilton Head – Family Circle Cup
b. Indianapolis – U.S. Clay Courts
c. Detroit – Virginia Slims
d. Phoenix – Thunderbird Championships
b – Indianapolis – U.S. Clay Courts
9. Who is the player in a blue dress being interviewed here?
a. Katerina Siniakova
b. Laura Siegemund
c. Camila Giorgi
d. Jelena Ostapenko
d – Jelena Ostapenko
10. The final shot of the classic 2008 Wimbledon final between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer was?
a. a Nadal backhand passing shot winner
b. a Federer forehand into the net
c. a Nadal ace
d. a Federer backhand long
b – a Federer forehand into the net
11. Who is this woman?
a. Lucie Safarova’s sister Veronika
b. Karen Khachanov’s wife Veronika Shkliaeva
c. Rafael Nadal’s sister Maria Isabel
d. Taylor Fritz’s wife Raquel Pedraza
c – Rafael Nadal’s sister Maria Isabel
12. In the 1960s Dunlop and Wilson were the dominant wood racquet makers. The Dunlop logo was the ‘flying D’ shown here. There’s only one player in the top-20 women and top-20 men using a Dunlop racquet today. Who is it?
a. Caroline Garcia
b. Kiki Bertens
c. Kevin Anderson
d. Marco Cecchinato
c – Kevin Anderson
13. Which of these American tennis broadcasters has won the mixed doubles title at the French Open?
a. Pam Shriver
b. Jimmy Arias
c. Mary Carillo
d. all of the above
d – all of the above
14. Which ONE of the players with the following surnames did NOT ever partner with Daniel Nestor during his illustrious doubles career.
b – (Robbie) Koenig
15. Who is the player embracing a woman in the picture above?
a. Vasek Pospisil and his mother Mila
b. Daniel Nestor and his mother Anna
c. Peter Polansky and his mother Beata
d. none of the above
d – none of the above, Denis Shapovalov and mother Tessa
16. Agnieszka Radwanska, former world No. 2 and 2012 Wimbledon runner-up (Serena Williams), has retired. She had winning or 50/50 career head-to-heads with Simona Halep, Angelique Kerber, Garbine Muguruza, Karolina Pliskova and Elina Svitolina, but was decidedly on the losing end against the four players listed below. Which one of them had a best (+11) differential in her head-to-head match-ups with the 29-year-old Pole?
a. Maria Sharapova
b. Caroline Wozniacki
c. Svetlana Kuznetsova
d. Serena Williams
a – Maria Sharapova 13-2 v Radwanska (S. Williams 10-0, Kuznetsova 14-4)
17. Who is the only Australian in this picture?
a. Darren Cahill
b. Matt Reid
c. Tony Roche
d. John Millman
c – Tony Roche on the adjacent court
18. Genie Bouchard finished 2018 ranked No. 88 with 692 points. She did that essentially with some solid results in the second half of the year. At which of the following events did she earn the most points?
c. US Open
d – Luxembourg – 128 points
19. Withdrawals can be a big problem for tournament officials. What is the protocol at a Grand Slam event (128 players and 32 seeds) if a No. 1 to No. 4 seed pulls out after the draw is made but before the order of play is released for the first day’s main-draw matches?
a. The next highest ranked player not seeded – or a lucky loser if qualifying has started – is moved into the No. 32 seeded position and every other seeded player below the withdrawing seed moves up one spot.
b. The No. 9 seed moves into the vacated seeded position and every other seeded player remains in the same place with the next highest ranked player eligible to be seeded – or a lucky loser if qualifying has started – put into the No. 9 spot.
c. Nothing changes unless two top-eight seeds withdraw. The openings are then filled by the highest ranked players eligible to be seeded or lucky losers if qualifying has begun.
d. The fifth seed moves into the vacated seed’s spot and the No. 17 seed takes the place of the fifth seed, with the 17th seed’s position filled by the next highest ranked player eligible to be seeded – or a lucky loser if qualifying has started.
d – No. 5 seed moves into top-four seeded spot, No. 17 into No. 5 place
20. Which of these is true about Roger Federer?
a. switched to a larger 97 sq. in. racquet in 2014
b. changed the part in his hair from right to left side in 2017
c. lost the contractual right to wear his ‘RF’ NIKE cap in 2018
d. all of the above.
d – all of the above
(Feature photo: Mauricio Paiz)