FULL-TIME NATIONAL TENNIS CENTRE (MONTREAL)
In September 2007, Tennis Canada opened its doors to a full-time National Tennis Centre (NTC) for the first time.
Under the leadership of world renowned coach Louis Borfiga, who ran a similar program for the French Tennis Federation, identified talent with an average age of 13-17 is provided with the training, coaching and resources necessary to succeed at the top levels of the sport. Operating national training centres is recognized as an international best practice where players can be regrouped in one location to hone their technical, physical and tactical fundamentals, garner top level international competitive experiences, manage life on the junior circuit as a precursor to the professional tours, and develop team identity and values to represent Canada on the international stage.
To ensure the success of the program:
- Tennis Canada has recruited internationally renowned tennis coaches, physiotherapists and tutors to provide athletes with qualified staff to support them in all aspects of their development.
- All of the amenities are state-of-the-art, including a fully-equipped gym, 12 indoor and 12 outdoor hard courts and four indoor clay courts. NTC players possess all resources necessary to succeed at the sport’s highest level.
- Christophe Clément
- Mia Kupres
- Stefan Simeunovic
- Marina Stakusic
- Jaden Weekes
- Annabelle Xu
FORMER NTC MEMBERS
- Louis Borfiga: Vice-President, High Performance
- Sylvain Bruneau: Head National Coach, Women’s Program
- Guillaume Marx: Head National Coach, Men’s Program
- Martin Laurendeau: National Coach
- André Labelle: National Coach
- Nicolas Perrotte: National Fitness Coach
- Virginie Tremblay: National Fitness Coach
- André Barette: Academic Consultant
- Bianca Andreescu became the first Canadian in history to claim a Grand Slam singles title, winning the 2019 US Open.
- Bianca Andreescu also became the first Canadian to win a WTA Premier Mandatory singles title as she claimed the 2019 BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells crown.
- In August 2019, Bianca Andreescu became the first Canadian in 50 years to claim the Rogers Cup presented by National Bank singles title.
- NTC players have captured five junior Grand Slam singles titles, an accomplishment never before realized in Canadian tennis history.
- Canadian players have reached 11 Grand Slam finals, eight in juniors and three at the professional level.
- Three Canadian players, Milos Raonic, Eugenie Bouchard and Bianca Andreescu, have also been ranked in the Top 5 of their respective tours
Regional Training Centres
In addition to the National Tennis Centre in Montreal, three Regional Training Centres have been created in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver to act as regrouping centres for promising U14 talent in those regions. The centres are supplementary training programs designed to support club leaders, personal coaches and parents to enrich the current training and competitive environment for our top performing athletes. These four programs act as feeder systems into the full-time NTC.
Based In Montreal
Many of the Canada’s top players (aged 15-19) live, train and attend school full time here with a goal of becoming a Top 50 WTA/ATP ranked professional.
Regional Training Centre
After school and weekend training for many of the region’s U15 players (working in partnership with clubs)
High Performance Tennis Development Centres and or private coaching programs
The foundation of Canada’s high performance program. Facilities and coaches that help to recruit, identify and develop Canada’s next generation of national and international level players.
Toronto Regional Training Centre
Learn more about our National Junior Training Program in Ontario, including details regarding the overall program, selection criteria and dates.
- Scarlett Nicholson
- Bailey Muller
- Nawal Youssef
- Anastasia Kavounova
- Edward Stan
- Matthew Cizmarik
- Finn Muller
- Alexander Andrei
- Alan Mackin – Head National Coach
Vancouver Regional Training Centre
Learn more about our National Junior Training Program in British Columbia, including details regarding the overall program, selection criteria and dates.
- Emma Dong
- Havana Kadi
- Andy Xu
- Scotty Su
- Owen Nguyen
- Eric Wang
- Danny Bao
- Diana Craciun
- Gabriella Lindgren
- Stewart Aronson
- Isabella Asenov
- Alessia Cau
- Barbara Bulinova
- Gary Jiang
- Ewan Robertson
- Joyce Geng
- Oded Jacob – Head National Coach
MONTREAL REGIONAL TRAINING CENTRE