Welcome to the 5th annual Genius/Joker Quiz. This year we’re invoking the honour system, respondents must not use Google or any other source material in answering the questions.
A prize will be awarded – answers should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, Dec. 22. The winner will be revealed next week.
1. In the picture at the top, who are the players walking onto Court 7 for a first-round match at Wimbledon last July?
A) a Canadian and an Uzbek
B) a Canadian and a Dutchman
C) a Canadian and a Pole
D) a Canadian and a Czech
2. Roger Federer holds the record for the most consecutive Grand Slam tournaments played with 65. Which active player is the closest to equalling Federer’s mark?
A) Andreas Seppi
B) Fernando Verdasco
C) Guillermo-Garcia Lopez
D) Feliciano Lopez
3. Which of these celebrity couples has the most combined twitter followers?
A) Grigor Dimitrov and Nicole Scherzinger
B) Milos Raonic and Danielle Knudson
C) Caroline Wozniacki and David Lee
D) Andy Roddick and Brooklyn Decker
4. The retired Ai Sugiyama has the record for playing the most women’s Grand Slam tournaments in a row with 62. Who, among active players, is the closest to breaking Sugiyama’s record?
A) Agnieszka Radwanska
B) Jelena Jankovic
C) Alizé Cornet
D) Ekaterina Makarova
5. Which birthplace is not correct for one of the men’s top five all-time Grand Slam singles titles winners?
A) Basel, Switzerland
B) Mannacor, Spain
C) Washington, D.C.
D) Novi Sad, Serbia
E) Blackbutt, Australia
6. Genie Bouchard has the career best WTA ranking among Canadian women at No. 5. Who has the second highest WTA ranking?
A) Helen Kelesi
B) Aleksandra Wozniak
C) Carling Bassett Seguso
D) Céline Dion
7. This WTA player is:
A) From Slovakia
B) A 2017 WTA singles champion
8. Which of the following players did Daniel Nestor never play with in doubles?
A) Jonas Bjorkman
B) John Sullivan
C) Kenny Thorne
D) Andy Murray
9. Which current women’s player was golden after a set in the third round of Wimbledon in 2012?
A) Sara Errani
B) Francesca Schiavone
C) Yaroslava Shvedova
D) Lucie Safarova
10. Milos Raonic holds the highest ever Canadian ATP ranking at No. 3. Who among the following is not in the top-five Canadians?
A) Greg Rusedski
B) Vasek Pospisil
C) Glenn Michibata
D) Denis Shapovalov
11. Roger Federer won the 2017 Australian Open scoring wins over four top-10 players – Nadal (9), Wawrinka (4), Nishikori (5) and Berdych (10). Who is the previous Grand Slam winner to beat four top-tenners on his way to the title?
A) Gustavo Kuerten – 1997 French Open
B) Thomas Johansson – 2002 Australian Open
C) Michael Chang – 1989 French Open
D) Mats Wilander – 1982 French Open
12. Who is the young girl playing tennis in this photo?
B) Princess Diana
C) Geri Halliwell (Ginger Spice)
D) Maria Kirilenko
13. Which Grand Slam had unforgettable moments connected to the following match times – 5 hrs 53 mins and 5 hrs 14 mins?
A) Australian Open
B) French Open
D) US Open
14. Who is this picture of – and where was it taken?
A) Donald Young at the US Open
B) Frances Tiafoe at Roland Garros
C) Donald Young at the Aptos Challenger
D) Frances Tiafoe at the Las Vegas Challenger
15. Which former Grand Slam champion’s post-playing career does not fit with those of the others listed below?
A) Lindsay Davenport
B) Monica Seles
C) Amélie Mauresmo
D) Conchita Martinez
16. John Isner has only played one match on the pro tour when he did not hit a single ace. When was he shut out?
A) Juan Ignacio Chela 2011 – Rome 1R
B) Thiemo de Bakker 2010 – Wimbledon 2R
C) Tomas Berdych 2014 – French Open R16
D) Jesse Levine 2008 – Newport 1R
17. At which tournament was this picture taken?
A) Indian Wells
D) US Open
18. Who had the most wins on the WTA tour three years ago in 2014?
A) Serena Williams
B) Simona Halep
C) Maria Sharapova
D) Ana Ivanovic
19. Who was the stand-in for action shots of the Bobby Riggs character in the movie ‘Battle of the Sexes’?
A) Sargis Sargsian
B) Tim Smyczek
C) Vince Spadea
D) Filippo Volandri
20. Which range is the most accurate for the string tension of Roger Federer’s Wilson Pro Staff RF 97 Autograph racquet – mains and crosses?
A) 26.5 kg / 25kg (58 lbs / 55 lbs)
B) 30.5 kg / 29 kg (67 lbs / 64 lbs)
C) 22.5 kg / 21 kg (50 lbs / 46 lbs)
D) 19.5 kg / 18 kg (43 lbs / 40 lbs)
NOTE: Answers next week along with annual ‘Favourite Pictures of the Year’ blog.