1. The stainless-steel Unisphere is located 75 metres outside the South Gate of the US Open and its centrepiece Arthur Ashe Stadium, which was inaugurated in 1997. Which of the following is true?
a. the Unisphere was built as part of the 1964 World’s Fair
b. the Unisphere is taller than Arthur Ashe Stadium
c. the Unisphere teetered slightly in 2007 and had to be realigned
d. 250 weddings are held each year in front of the Unisphere
2. Which of these sons and fathers have the lowest combined total of career-high rankings?
a. Taylor and Guy Fritz
b. Sebastian and Petr Korda
c. Leo and Bjorn Borg
d. Casper and Christian Ruud
3. Serena Williams ranked in the Top 100 WTA year-end rankings every season between 1997 and 2021 (25 years.) In how many of those years did she reach No. 1 at some point?
a. 8 years
b. 10 years
c. 12 years
d. 14 years
4. How tall is Genie Bouchard?
5. During the 1920s, American Bill Tilden was the best-known player in the world, including in France. In Paris, in those days, if you asked for “un Tilden” – what did that mean?
a. glass of water
b. V-Neck sweater
c. full-length overcoat
d. a pear-shaped racquet head
6. American legend Jimmy Connors holds the record for the most men’s singles professional tournaments won with 109. He had only a single victory in Canada – where was that?
a. Quebec City
7. The final 2022 ATP rankings were 1. Carlos Alcaraz, 2. Rafael Nadal, 3. Casper Ruud, 4. Stefanos Tsitsipas, 5. Novak Djokovic. If Wimbledon, won by Djokovic, had awarded ranking points, who would have finished No. 1?
8. Maria Sharapova and partner Alexander Gilkes welcomed the birth of their first child, a son, on July 1, 2022. What is his name?
9. In Bianca Andreescu’s book “Bibi’s Got Game” – which of these does Bibi NOT do?
b. feel for an apple in a refrigerator blind-folded
c. balance a spoon on her nose
10. NFL quarterback Mac Jones of the New England Patriots has a favourite tennis player. Who is it?
a. Gael Monfils
b. Nick Kyrgios
c. Frances Tiafoe
d. Rafael Nadal
11. Who is this international tennis umpire?
a. Marija Cicak (CRO)
b. Alison Hughes (GBR)
c. Eva Asderaki-Moore (GRE)
d. Aurélie Tourte (FRA)
12. Aryna Sabalenka did which of the following on one of every 10 points she played on serve in 2022.
c. caught her ball toss
d. changed her racquet
13. Who were the only two men to make it to the second week (round-of-16) at all four Grand Slams in 2022?
a. Rafael Nadal and Marin Cilic
b. Rafael Nadal and Jannik Sinner
c. Rafael Nadal and Stefanos Tsitsipas
d. Rafael Nadal and Cam Norrie
14. Félix Auger-Aliassime is now the world No. 6 and a popular player wherever he plays. Which one of the following is true about the 22-year-old from Montréal?
a. he wears contact lenses when he plays
b. he doesn’t like wearing a watch
c. he strings his racquets at 62 pounds (28 kilos)
d. he has a residence in the Bahamas
15. When Tom Tebbutt was editor of the one-man publication On Court in the 1980s, which was NOT one of his main writing pseudonyms?
a. Patrick Tolon
b. Les Libideau
c. Mel Buckle
d. Geoffrey Gales
16. What are the origins of Leylah Annie Fernandez’s first name?
a. it’s a Filipino name from her mother Irene’s side of the family
b. it’s the name of an Ecuadorian actress her father Jorge admired
c. it’s the name of a flower that her mother liked
d. it comes from Eric Clapton’s famous song “Layla”
17. Which of these is NOT true about former top tennis player and now commentator, Pam Shriver?
a. she is a third cousin of Sargent Shriver, the defeated Democratic vice-presidential candidate in the 1972 U.S. Presidential election
b. she was formerly married to a James Bond (007) actor
c. she is a co-inventor of a grip tape used on Prince racquets
d. she is a minority owner of the Baltimore Orioles baseball team
18. Name the current American player whose uncle ranked No. 1 in Canada in 1977-78 and who, representing Canada in 1982 in Caracas, played the longest match (100 games) in Davis Cup history?
a. Brandon Holt
b. Michael Mmoh
c. Taylor Fritz
d. Tommy Paul
19. How many of these Grand Slam singles champions – Bianca Andreescu, Justine Henin, Mary Pierce and Emma Raducanu – were born in Canada?
20. Which of these tennis players did NOT grow up with a tennis court in his or her backyard?
a. Chris Evert
b. Jimmy Connors
c. Kim Clijsters
d. Taylor Fritz
How did you do? Check out the answers.