Due to the repercussions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, it is with great regret that Tennis Canada announced on Sunday the cancellation of seven international Junior, Senior and Wheelchair ITF events scheduled for June, July and September.
The health and safety of all athletes, officials, organizers, volunteers, coaches and spectators remains our top priority. A combination of current health measures, restrictions on travel and COVID-19 hosting protocols mean these events are not viable this year.
As a result, the following tournaments will not be taking place in 2021:
- ITF World Tennis Tour J4 Edmonton (University of Alberta Saville Centre, Edmonton AB) – June 27-July 3, 2021
- London Hunt Club ITF Senior Championships (London Hunt Club, London ON) – July 1-4, 2021
- ITF 3 Saint-Hyacinthe International Open (Complexe de tennis Services Financiers Guy Duhaime, Saint-Hyacinthe QC) – June 10-13, 2021
- ITF Futures Janco Steel Wheelchair Tennis Classic (Grimsby Tennis Club, Grimsby ON) – June 15-18, 2021
- ITF Futures Windsor Classic (Parkside Tennis Club, Windsor ON) – June 20-22, 2021
- ITF Futures Vancouver International (Kits Beach Courts, Vancouver BC) – July 16-19, 2021
- ITF2 – Wheelchair: Birmingham Canadian Wheelchair Classic (Sobeys Stadium, Toronto ON) – September 10-13
“It is really disheartening that these events were cancelled knowing these decisions are never easy to make given the impact on our athletes, partners, families and communities” commented Hatem Mcdadi, Senior Vice President of Tennis Development at Tennis Canada.
“That said, the safety and welfare of all involved continues to be our top priority coupled with running world-class events. Given the current conditions, we believe this decision is in the best interest of all involved.”